Sometimes people avoid swimming due to the colder weather approaching however there are many reasons why you should keep going!
If you have ever heard that swimming in winter makes you more prone to catching a cold, don’t believe it, it is only an old wives tale! Swimming during the winter time instead helps build a stronger immune system and makes you more resilient to stress and other illnesses.
If you still fear that it may affect your health here are some good habits to maintain:
Lastly, the best way for you to remember and keep developing skills is through repetition. If you take your children or yourself out for 3-4 months in winter, they may lose their technique and take longer to progress through the level or worse, forget important knowledge when they get back to swimming in public in the early days of spring and summer.
So even though winter is coming around remember to just keep swimming, just keep swimming, swimming, swimming!
Swimming is the perfect form of exercise as it gives every muscle in your body a workout while having the choice to make it an endurance or sprint training. If you are new to swimming, eating properly and at the right times can help develop your strength and cardio fitness. It is important to fuel your body the correct way for optimal performance.
Now, nobody is the same, everyone will have a different level of comfort regarding eating around swimming, so it is important to trial what works for you. In general, a good rule to follow is allowing 2-4 hours before your swim, after eating a larger meal but 30 minutes – two hours for a smaller snack.
1) Whole grain pasta contains a great substance of carbohydrates and should be enough to give you the boost of energy you need before swimming. Mix some of your favourite vegetables or meat with your pasta to get those extra vitamins and proteins!
2) Bananas are an awesome source of potassium! Plus, they taste so good as well as giving you the boost of energy you need before swimming. Grab a banana on the way to the pool and see the benefits during your swim session.
3) Lean chicken is a good way to get protein without eating all of the saturated fats that are usually in meats. A good idea is to make a salad topped with lean chicken or simply eat the chicken with some brown rice to add whole grains to your meal! Yum!
4) Everybody loves some nice, creamy yoghurt with fruit and nuts. Yoghurt provides a lot of protein, but be sure to look out for those added sugars that make them so sweet. Try opting for some Greek yoghurt or other low-fat, unsweetened products that will give you that essential protein.
5) If you only have time for a simple snack after swimming, you might like the idea of grabbing some protein bars that you can eat on the go. You can grab some of our nutritious and delicious protein balls at our Red Poppy Cafe, ask our friendly staff which flavour they recommend!
We hope you enjoyed some of our tips! See you in the pool!
To celebrate the gift of all our hardworking and loving mum’s out there we are giving away a free coffee to all our swim school mums during the week leading up to Mother’s Day, Sunday 12th May.
We know it’s not easy juggling your own life as well as your kids and sometimes even your partners, friends or work! That’s why we’re here to try make your day a little easier, happy Mother’s Day!